"Humble and Carefree" & "Stand Firm"
Stand Firm Series| Pastor Steve Stoltzfus
1 Peter 5:5-14
Read 1 Peter 5:5-14
1. What are some ways believers can clothe themselves in humility toward others in the midst of suffering? What are some ways you’ve witnessed others walk in pride in the midst of their trials?
2. Knowing God is actively caring for us should cause us, in humility, to cast all of our anxieties on Him and receive His grace.
· What makes it difficult for you to cast all your anxieties on God?
· How do you practically cast your anxieties on God? What are some things you do when you are feeling anxious?
· How do you fight the temptation to isolate yourself (pride/self-dependence) when you are feeling anxious?
3. The enemy, Satan, who prowls around like a roaring lion is seeking someone to devour. He accuses you before the Father day and night. (Revelation 12:10) But Jesus intercedes for you. (Luke 22:32, John 17:9) You are called to resist Satan, to be alert and sober-minded, firm in your faith, submitting yourself to God and God says Satan will flee from you. (James 4:7)
· What keeps you from being immersed in God’s Word? From Prayer?
· Is there any sin pattern in your life that is giving the enemy a blood-trail?
· How have you experienced worship as a battle weapon in the midst of suffering?
4. Beloved child of God, "after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you." Peter says that this is the “true grace of God,' to stand firm in the midst of persecution and suffering."
· What are you learning in the midst of your current trial? (God’s attributes/character, greater assurance of identity or salvation, wisdom, etc.)
· How can we pray for you today for you to stand firm in Christ?